Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cauliflower Soup

I love cauliflower, I love soup. What could be more perfect in life then, than a cauliflower soup?! Well, lot's I am sure, but let's start here.














Here's a line up of some of the fixin's:













For this recipe I am sure I will have ample opportunity to use my new, totally awesome oven mitt and dish towel given to me by a dear family friend, Darlene.

"Easy as pie my ass" is right!
















I buy this chicken stock in bulk. While I sometimes make my own, I rarely have time to do so. Pacific Natural Foods makes amazing products. Remember the love of soup I mentioned above? Pacific Natural Foods make an organic Creamy Tomato Soup that is to die for!
Anyway, on with the show... err... blog...






Oh my santoku knives. I didn't know what a good knife was until I had you. These were a Christmas gift from the wonderful boyfriend.













While I have carrots out, I can't NOT give some to the pooches. Carrots are their favorite treats.












This recipe calls for finely diced carrot, onion, and celery. Now that's a dice to make mama proud!














This recipe does not, however, call for garlic. Which is blasphemous! To get back at the man I went ahead and finely diced two whole cloves to toss in as well! Ha! You know, it's really the little things sometimes.










To start I began to melt 4 tbsp of butter in a large soup pot.
















I then added the onion and cooked over medium high heat until it began to brown. Roughly 6 minutes or so.












Then add the carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook for a few more minutes. 5-6 should suffice.










Toss in the cauliflower and parsley. At this point I was glad that I was using my super large soup pot! This was cooked over low heat for about 15 minutes.











Now is when the chicken stock goes in. Which was then brought to a boil. Then lower to a simmer.














While that simmers, it was time to start the thickening agent. After melting another 4 tbsp of butter, I mixed flour and milk, and whisked to combine. This was then slowly added to the butter.
Removed from the heat, I stirred in the 1 cup of half and half. The mixture was then added to the soup, and simmered for 15-20 minutes.


After checking the seasoning, and completing the last steps, this was the end result.















This soup was very tasty. Though after we were finished, I did end up using an immersion blender to blend the soup to a smooth and creamy consistency. There was plenty for left overs as well!
I got this recipe from the awesome Pioneer Woman blog! With some changes of course. Like the garlic :P
1 stick of butter
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 celery stock, finely diced
1-2 heads cauliflower, roughly chopped (I used 2)
2 tbsp chopped fresh or dried parsley
2 cloves of garlic, diced/minced
2 quarts of chicken broth or stock
2 cups whole milk
6 tbsp flour
1 cup half and half
2-4 tbsp salt, to taste
1 generous cup of sour cream, at room temperature
In large soup pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, until it starts to brown. Add the carrots, garlic, & celery, cook for an additional couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
In a medium sauce pan, melt the other 4 tablespoons of butter. Mix the flour with the milk and whisk to combine. I used a bowl off of the stove to do this. Add flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half & half. Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. This is where you check your seasoning and add any salt or pepper as you feel fit.
Just before serving, place the sour cream in a serving bowl or tureen. Add 2-3 ladles of hot soup into the tureen or serving dish, and stir to combine with the sour cream. Pour in remaining soup and stir. Serve immediately.
Thanks for reading, enjoy!

1 comment:

Dining Alone said...

everything is better with garlic for sure. this looks good and I would have done the same with the blender.