Monday, January 2, 2012

Chewy Ginger Cookies

COOKIES!!

Admittedly I have not tried any recipe lately that has blown my skirt up. In fact, most have made me walk away annoyed that I even wasted the ingredients it took to make them. So when I was half assedly (is assedly a word? It is now) flipping through the December issue of bon appetit I saw a whole section that struck my fancy. So I decided to make the Chewy Giner Cookies. Basically I Saw that they called for molasses, which I not only had, but happen to love. Enough said.

2 1/4 c all purpose flour
2 1/2 t ground ginger
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 t fresh ground black pepper
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c vegetable shortening (I must admit here I used butter flavor crisco because I had some)
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
1 large egg
1/2 c blackstrap molasses
2 t finely grated peeled ginger
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 c finely chopped crystalized ginger (I did not use this)
1 c raw or sanding sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with racks arranged in lower and upper thirds of oven.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in medium bowl.
4. Using an electric mixer on med-high speed beat brown sugar, shortening, and butter in a large bowl, until light and fluffy.
5. Reduce speed to low and add the egg, molasses, grated ginger, and vanilla, beat just to blend.
6. Add flour mixture and beat on low speed just to blend.
7. Mix in crystallized ginger (which I did not do). At this point the dough will be very soft and sticky.
8. Put the raw sugar in a shallow plate or bowl.
9. Using a tablespoon (T) measure scoop out dough. Using a second spoon scoop dough into bowl with raw sugar; turn to coat well.
10. Roll into a ball.
11. Transfer ball to prepared baking sheet, spacing the balls 1 1/2" apart.
12. Bake the cookies, rotating sheet halfway through, until edges are firm 8-10 minutes.

Ingredients as per usual:
This is what the cookies are "supposed" to look like. Yeah, I don't go by that much.


Lining my pan with parchment... exciting stuff right there.


Mix the dry ingredients - flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.


Whisk those together and set aside. In my kitchenaid mixer bowl I put the brown sugar, shortening, and butter.


Then I mixed like crazy.


Until it looked like this. I love how they say "scrape down the sides of the bowl every now and then". Uhhh, ya think?




Now add the egg,


And the molasses...


Notice how that sticky stuff flows all nice...


and easy away from the sides of the measuring cup?


That's because I sprayed the measuring cup with PAM spray before pouring in the sticky substance of choice. Works like a charm every time.


Add the vanilla.


Mix just to blend. Like so. Add the dry ingredients and again mix just to blend.


I did not have a bowl shallow enough for my raw sugar. So I used a plate.


For all of that beautiful sugar.


I busted out my brand new secret weapon. THE COOKIE SCOOP. Seriously. Worth every penny.


I scooped out even amounts of dough, just enough to fill the scoop with the top scraped off.


Which I then rolled in the previously mentioned gorgeous sugar.


Once I had several on the sheet they were ready for their main scene in the oven. 12 minutes at 350 degrees.


Which resulted in these wonderous beasts.




Just look at them...


I had absolutely no choice but to immediately sample one (or three but hey who's counting?!) with a glass of milk.


If you make these, you will love them. Period. I did.

No comments: